Varun Dhawan is an Indian actor who is popularly known as the new age, Govinda. He is known for pulling off roles of various genres. Son of well-known director David Dhawan, the young actor made a promising debut in Karan Johar's 2012 film Student Of The Year along with his contemporaries Alia Bhatt and Sidharth Malhotra. The actor has acted in comedy, tragedy and romantic films, making his mark in the industry, and is best remembered for his performance in the crime-thriller Badlapur.
- Birth: April 24, 1987
- Birth Place: Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Mother: karuna Dhawan
- Father: David Dhawan
- Spouse: Natasa Dalal
- Brother: Rohit Dhawan
- Occupation: Bollywood Actor
Varun Dhawan was born on 24th April 1987 in Mumbai to David and Karuna Dhawan and was brought up in a Punjabi family. Despite David Dhawan being a successful director, he wanted Varun to be an engineer or a doctor but Varun always wanted to be a wrestler and his mother wanted him to become an actor. He is a big fan of WWE wrestler The Rock, Dwayne Johnson. His elder brother Rohit Dhawan, whom he shares a very strong bond with, is a director as well.
Varun was a bright student from the beginning and completed his schooling at Bombay Scottish School and later went on to pursue business management at Nottingham Trent University, UK. After returning from England, he joined Barry John's acting school where he studied with Arjun Kapoor and acted in short films. After this, he started to work on his acting skills regularly. Being a healthy kid, Varun began to transform his body and honed his physique before he was roped in for the film Student Of The Year, which was released in 2012.
Varun Dhawan was in a long-standing relationship with his childhood friend Natasha Dalal and they made it official on social media in 2019. Natasha Dalal is a fashion designer with her own label that specialized in wedding and bridal couture and has her own store in Mumbai's Juhu area. Although Varun tried to keep his relationship away from the limelight, the couple was spotted on various occasions either dining or vacationing together. In January 2021, the couple tied the knot in a private ceremony in Alibaug.
Varun Dhawan never wanted to become an actor, it was his mother who wished that he pursue acting. After joining Barry John's acting school, he learned various aspects of filming. In 2010, while studying at the film school, he acted and worked as a co-director of photography for a short film titled White Mountain, along with Arjun Kapoor. He also wrote the story and screenplay for the same. Later, he assisted Karan Johar on the film My Name Is Khan, where he worked along with Sidharth Malhotra.
At that time, Sidharth Malhotra, a successful model, was looking for a break in films. Karan Johar spotted the two young talented boys and offered them to work in his venture Student Of The Year. The film also featured Alia Bhatt, daughter of director Mahesh Bhatt. The three debuted together on the silver screen. Upon the movie's release, Varun Dhawan came out as a promising and energetic actor, and his portrayal of Rohan Nanda, a rich brat, was much appreciated by the critics.
In 2014, he appeared in a lead role in Main Tera Hero directed by his father David Dhawan, romancing Illeana D'cruz and Nargis Fakhri. His character of Seenu was instantly compared to that of the various characters portrayed by Govinda, and was said to have the same flamboyant presence on-screen as Govinda. This was followed by Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania opposite Alia Bhatt, which was directed by Shashank Khaitan. Varun Dhawan won the Stardust Award in 2014 for Best Actor - Comedy/Romance.
His career-best performance came with his 2015 release Badlapur, directed by Sriram Raghavan. The story of lost love and revenge gripped the audience along with Varun's characters' rugged look and he established himself as a serious actor. In the year 2015, Varun Dhawan had two releases - ABCD 2 opposite Shraddha Kapoor, and Dilwale. ABCD 2, a hardcore dance-centric film directed by choreographer Remo D'souza, proved Varun's prowess as a dancer. Even though the film was not appreciated much by the critics, the actor swayed the audience off with his chiseled body and good looks. The Rohit Shetty-directed Dilwale, starring Shah Rukh Khan, Kajol, Kriti Sanon and Varun Dhawan, made a mark with mixed reviews.
Varun Dhawan's 2016 projects include Dishoom, which is directed by his brother Rohit Dhawan and stars John Abraham, Jacqueline Fernandez, and Akshaye Khanna. In 2017, the actor featured opposite Alia Bhatt in the romantic comedy film Badrinath Ki Dulhania, which turned out to be a huge blockbuster hit. Varun's other release in 2017 includes the action comedy film Judwaa 2 in a double role as twins opposite Jacqueline Fernandez and Taapsee Pannu, under the direction of his father David Dhawan. His 2018 release includes Sui Dhaaga - Made In India. His 2020 release includes Street Dancer 3, directed by Remo D'Souza and Coolie No 1 directed by David Dhawan. His other notable works include Jugjugg Jeeyo (2022), Bhediya (2022) and Bawaal (2023).
- His nickname is Pappu!
- Varun is a prankster in real life too.
- Varun is obsessed with his hair.
- He is a big Sachin Tendulkar fan.
- He wanted to be a wrestler when he was kid. Whereas, his father wanted him to be an engineer and his mother wanted him to become an actor.
- Varun is one of the highest-paid actors of his generation.
- His dad David Dhawan refused to launch Varun in a home production. ‘I wanted him to go out there and find his bearings,’ said David. Karan Johar took it upon himself to launch Varun.
- During the shooting of the film 'Badlapur' Varun changed his entire lifestyle. He stopped partying and hanging out with friends. He began to enjoy his isolation so much that his mother had to call up Varun’s friends to find out what is wrong.
- Varun's Net Worth is $26 Million (205crore INR)
- Varun Dhawan resides in a glinting 4 BHK apartment near Juhu in Mumbai.
- For "October," Varun Dhawan gave up social media, wearing makeup, acting like a celebrity, and reduced phone use.
- On David Dhawan's 68th birthday, Varun Dhawan stitched a shirt with the skills he learned for Sui Dhaaga.
- For Sui Dhaaga, Varun Dhawan and Anushka Sharma learned the craft of sewing and embroidery, respectively.
- Judwaa 2 marks actor Varun Dhawan's first dual appearance role.
- Varun Dhawan rode the cycle for close to 10 hours for a scene in Sui Dhaaga with Anushka Sharma riding a pillion.
- "Goodness is something people take advantage of, and if you want to remain a good person for long, you should make sure that too many people don't take advantage of you because then you turn bitter."
- "I find it very difficult to work with people I don't like; I can't do that."
- "For me, more than general box-office collections, what really matters is that I am doing something that I enjoy and love."
- "You have one heart, and once you give it away, it's gone. If you wear it on your sleeve, a lot of people are there to take advantage of it."
- "I don't think you need a particular day to dedicate to your dad or to make your father or parents feel special. A child should make his or her parents feel special every day and vice versa."