Sundar Pichai is the present Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the search engine Google. He is an India-born world-class figure. The total salary of Sundar Pichai was around US$1,881,066 in 2018.
- Full Name: Pichai Sundararajan
- Birth: June 10, 1972 (age 47)
- Place of Birth: Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India
- Father: Regunatha Pichai (Worked as an Electrical Engineer)
- Mother: Lakshmi Pichai (Worked as a Stenographer)
- Wife: Anjali Pichai (a classmate at IIT Kharagpur)
- Brother: Srinivasan Pichai (Younger)
- Children: 2 (Kiran Pichai, Kavya Pichai)
- Nationality: American, India-born American
Early Life and Education
Sundar Pichai was born on 10 June 1972, in Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India, to Regunatha Pichai and Lakshmi. Sundar Pichai completed his schooling in Jawahar Vidyalaya, which is located in Ashok Nagar, Chennai and completed Class XII from Vana Vani school. He received his B.Tech degree from IIT Kharagpur and completed his Master of Science (MS)from Stanford University. pichai has also done his MBA from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
Career of Sundar Pichai
When Sundar Pichai completed his B.Tech in Metallurgical Engineering from IIT Kharagpur, he earned a scholarship to study materials science and semiconductor physics from Stanford University, USA. In starting of his career, he worked as an engineer and product manager at a semiconductor maker (Applied materials) in Silicon Valley, USA. After completing his MBA from Wharton in 2002, he joined McKinsey & Company as a consultant and in 2004, he finally joined Google.
Some More About Sundar Pichai
- Height (approx.): 5' 11"
- Eye Color: Dark Brown
- Hair Color: Black
- Zodiac sign: Cancer
- Nationality: American
- Hometown: Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
- Award: Padma Bhushan (Trade and Industry) 2022
- Food Habit: Vegetarian
- Hobbies: Reading, Watching and Playing •Football (Soccer) and Cricket, Sketching, Playing Chess
- Bollywood Actress: Deepika Padukone
- Sports: Football, Cricket
- Football Player: Lionel Messi
- Football Club: FC Barcelona
- Cars Collection: Range Rover, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche
- Cricketer: Sachin Tendulkar
- Property: A $6.8 million house in Los Altos Hills, California
Major Success of Sundar Pichai
Sundar played an important role in the final launching of Google Chrome, in 2008, when he convinced the co-founders of Google, Sergey Brin, and Larry Page to launch Google’s browser. Soon, Google Chrome became the world's No. 1 browser and surpassed competitors such as Firefox and Internet Explorer.
After the success of chrome, Sundar Pichai became an internationally famous figure. Finally, after 11 years, since he joined Google; he was selected as the next CEO of Google on 10 August 2015. Alphabet Inc. was formed in 2015 as Google’s parent company. Sundar Pichai was awarded 273,328 shares of Google's holding company Alphabet in Feb.2016. Finally, on 03 December 2019, he became the CEO of Alphabet Inc.
Sundar Pichai married Anjali Pichai on 19 December 2003. The couple has two children, a son Kiran Pichai and a daughter kavya Pichai.
- Sundar Pichai is the CEO of "Alphabet" and its subsidiary "Google LLC." He is the highest-paid executive of the search giant- "Google."
- Pichai used to excel at cricket when he was in school. His leadership skills were evident even then; as he was selected as the captain of his high school cricket team.
- Pichai not only secured a degree in Metallurgy from one of the most prestigious institutes in India but also managed to earn a scholarship to Stanford University, where he studied materials science and semiconductor physics.
- As Pichai's father wasn't financially well-off, it was difficult for his father to send him abroad for higher studies. However, his father somehow managed to spend $1000 from the family savings to cover Pichai's travel and additional expenses.
- When he was studying at the "Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania," he was named the "Siebel Scholar" and "Palmer Scholar," respectively; as he was one of the most talented students.
- Only a few people know that Pichai is not an early "Googler." Before joining Google in 2004, he used to work as a management consultant with "McKinsey & Company," which specializes in metallurgy.
- On 1 April 2004, Pichai joined Google. Interestingly, it was the very day that Gmail was launched.
- Pichai's wife, Anjali Pichai, was his classmate at IIT Kharagpur. The duo had such a strong bonding that even distance and years could not part the future companions.
- Interestingly, Satya Nadella and Pichai were being considered for the post of Microsoft's CEO. However, the former was chosen as the CEO of Microsoft and Pichai continued at Google.
- Although he is believed to be one of the most politically correct and neutral executives, he was at constant loggerheads with the former head of Android, Andy Rubin. Eventually, Rubin left the Android team to work on a robotics project before leaving Google.
- Pichai is the third and the first non-white CEO of Google after Larry Page and Eric Schmidt.
- Pichai has been credited with making the Android team more open. Before taking charge of Android from Andy Rubin, the Android unit was perceived as a rogue unit within Google.
- The November 2015 floods in Chennai had turned catastrophic for Pichai's grandmother who was stuck in a building for 4 days without water, food and cellular connectivity. As the water level rose, his grandmother had to be moved to the second floor of the building.
- On December 3, 2019, Sundar Pichai replaced Larry Page as CEO of Google's parent company, Alphabet Inc. Larry Page decided to step down as the CEO and Pichai was appointed as the CEO of both Google and Alphabet.
- On 22 December 2019, it was announced that Sundar Pichai would receive a hefty package of $240 million in performance-based stock awards over the next three years. It was the highest performance awards package offered to any executive of Google ever, and the second-highest ever in the world of tech, behind Apple's Tim Cook.
- Sundar Pichai's net worth is $1310 million (1.31 Billion) (nearly Rs 10,810 crore) in 2022.
- "A person who is happy is not happy because everything is right in his life, he is happy because his attitude towards everything in his life is right."
- "Keep pushing your limits."
- "In life don’t react, always respond."
- "You might fail a few times, but that’s Ok. You end up doing something worthwhile which you learn a great deal from."
- "Most of how life plays out is up to you."