Narendra Damodardas Modi is an Indian politician and is serving as Prime Minister of India at the present time. He is appointed as PM of the country for the second term in 2019. He is the second most famous leader in the world after Barak Obama.
- Full Name: Narendra Damodardas Modi
- Birth: 17 September 1950 (Sunday)
- Birthplace: Vadnagar, Bombay State (Now, Gujarat), India
- Nickname: NaMo
- Profession: Politician
- Spouse: Jashodaben Chimanlal Modi (m.1968)
- Father: Late Damodardas Mulchand Modi
- Mother: Heeraben
- Height (approx.): 5' 7"
- Eye Colour: Black
- Hair Colour: White
- Political Party: Bharatiya Janata
Narendra Modi was born into a family of an oil-pressing community, which is considered the Other Backward Class (OBC) in India. He was born on 17 September 1950 (Sunday), in Vadnagar, Bombay State (Now, Gujarat), India, to Damodardas Mulchand Modi and Heeraben. In childhood, Modi wanted to join the Indian Army and tried to get himself enrolled in a Sainik School, but as his family was financially weak, he couldn't get admission to the Sainik School.
Narendra left his house, when he was only 17, and travelled to different parts of India. Young Narendra Modi often lent his hands to his father's tea stall at the Vadnagar Railway Station, Gujarat. In 1989, his father died of Bone Cancer. At that time, Modi was on Kailash Manasarovar Yatra.
Modi was introduced to RSS (Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh), When he was eight years old and he started attending its (training sessions), in which Modi met Lakshmanrao Inamdar (Vakil Saheb). Lakshamanrao inducted Modi as a balswayamsevak (junior cadet) in the RSS and became his political mentor. When he joined Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), he was assigned to mop the floor at the RSS headquarters in Ahmedabad. Narendra Modi was engaged to Jashodaben at a very young age and was married when he was 18 and she was only 17.
Modi joined Bhartiya Janta Party in 1985 and was elected as secretary of the Party's Gujarat Unit, in 1988. In November 1995, he was elected National Secretary of the BJP. In May 1998, he became the General Secretary of BJP and became the Chief Minister of Gujarat for the 1st time on 03 October 2001 and retained the post till 2014. He was also appointed to BJP Parliamentary Board on 31 March 2013. In 2014, He won the Lok Sabha elections from the Varanasi Constituency by a massive margin of 3,71,784 votes. On 26 May 2014, he was appointed the 14th Prime Minister of India and he also won the 2019 Lok Sabha elections from the Varanasi Constituency by a margin of 4,79,505 votes; larger than the previous margin in the 2014 General Elections. He took the oath as the 15th Prime Minister of India, on 30 May 2019.
Awards and Honours
- He was named the Best Chief Minister in a nationwide survey by India Today, in 2007.
- He was featured on the cover of the Asian edition of Time Magazine, in 2012.
- In 2014, he was awarded Indian of the Year by the CNN-IBN news network.
- Forbes Magazine ranked him the 15th-Most-Powerful Person in the World, in 2014.
- Bloomberg Markets Magazine ranked him the 13th-Most Influential Person in the World in 2015. Also, he was named one of Time's "30 Most Influential People on the Internet" as the second-most followed politician on Twitter and Facebook, in the same year.
- In 2014 & 2016, he was declared the winner of the Time magazine reader's poll for Person of the Year.
- On 3rd April 2016, Modi was honoured with the Order of Abdulaziz Al Saud; the highest civilian honour of Saudi Arabia. State Order of Ghazi Amir Amanullah Kan; the highest civilian honour of Afghanistan.
- In the years 2014, 2015, and 2017, Modi was named one of Time magazine's 100 Most Influential People in the World.
- In the years 2015, 2016, and 2018, Forbes Magazine ranked him the 9th most Most-Powerful Person in the World.
- On 10th February 2018, he was honoured with the Grand Collar of the State of Palestine; the highest civilian honour of Palestine for foreign dignitaries.
- On 27th September 2018, Modi was awarded the Champions of the Earth Award; the UN's highest environmental honour, also given to five other individuals and organisations, for his leadership of the International Solar Alliance and pledge to eliminate single-use plastic by 2022
- On 24 October, conferred with the Seoul Peace Prize for 2018 for his contribution to international cooperation and fostering global economic growth.
- On 22 February 2019, he received the prestigious Seoul Peace Prize for 2018.
- On 4 April 2019, he was conferred with Zayed Medal, UAE's highest civilian award, for giving "a big boost" to the bilateral relations between both the countries
- On 25 September 2019, he was conferred the 'Global Goalkeeper' award by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan launched by his government.
- On 21 December 2020, he was awarded the 'Legion of Merit by U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday for his role in advancing the India-U.S. relationship.
- On 24 February 2021, the world's largest cricket stadium, at Motera in Ahmedabad, was renamed Narendra Modi Stadium; hours before the start of the day-night third Test between India and England. It was also the first international match at the new venue. The stadium was inaugurated by President Ram Nath Kovind.
- In December 2021, the Kingdom of Bhutan awarded Narendra Modi Ngadag Pel gi Khorlo or the Order of The Druk Gyalpo, the highest civilian decoration in Bhutan; with this, he became the first foreigner to receive the coveted award.
- On 24 April 2022, Modi received the first Lata Deenanath Mangeshkar Award at Mumbai's Shanmukhananda Hall; the award was instituted by the Master Deenanath Mangeshkar Smruti Pratishthan charitable trust in memory of the legendary singer.
Some other things about Narendra Modi
- Zodiac sign: Virgo
- Nationality: Indian
- Hometown: Vadnagar, Gujarat, India
- Siblings: Narendra Modi has 5 siblings including one sister. One of his brothers Soma is a Retired Officer in the Health Department. His sister's name is Vasantiben Hasmukhlal Modi.
- School: Higher Secondary School, Vadnagar, Gujarat
- College/University: Gujarat University, Ahmedabad, India. University of Delhi, New Delhi, India
- Educational Qualification(s): 1. SSC exam from Gujarat Board in 1967, 2. BA in Political Science (a distance-education course from Delhi University), 3. MA in Political Science from Gujarat University in 1983
- Blood Group: A (+ve)
- Food Habit: Vegetarian
- Address (permanent): C-1, Someshwar Tenament, Ranip, Ahmedabad 382480, Gujarat
- Address (official): 7, Lok Kalyan Marg (earlier called 7 Race Course Road), New Delhi
- Hobbies: Doing Yoga, Reading
Name in disputes
- Modi was named as one of the masterminds in the 2002 Gujarat Riots; Although, on 11 December 2019, Justice Nanavati Mehta's Commission report give him a clean chit, in the 2002 Gujarat riots.
- The Gujarat Government tabled the final part of the 2002 riots, in the Assembly on 11 December 2019. The report deals with post-Godhra violence in which more, than 20000 people were killed in the widespread communal riots across the State. The Commission has given a clean chit to that time Chief Minister Narendra Modi and others in post-Godhara riots. The Commission held that the riots weren't organised and the State administration had taken all necessary measures to control the situation.
- Later on, Zakia Jafri, Mrs. of Congress MP Ehsan Jafri, who was among the 68 people killed in what came to be known as the Gulbarg Society massacre, filed a petition against the exculpation of Prime Minister Narendra Modi in a 2002 Gujarat riots case in the Supreme Court, and on 24 June 2022, the apex court upheld the clean virgin given to him by a Special Investigation Team or SIT.
- Teesta Setalvad held him responsible for the murder of her husband in the Gulbarg Society in 2002.
- He was also held responsible for the fake encounter of Ishrat Jahan.
- He has also been blamed for his connubial status.
- The United States denied a visa for his part in the Gujarat Riots.
- He was blamed for tapping the phone- calls of a girl (a student of architecture) in the Snoopgate scandal.
- In 2015, he was blamed for wearing a suit worth 10 Lakh with a monogram of his name Narendra Modi.
- On 10 August 2018, for the first time in the history of the Indian Parliament, a portion of the Prime Minister's comment was deleted from the records of the Rajya Sabha. After the election of Harivansh Narayan Singh as the Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha, in his speech complimenting Harivansh, PM Modi said the election was between "two Haris".
- He went on to take a swipe at Mr Hariprasad (the opposition's aspirant), playing with his initials.
Favourites of Modi
- Politician(s): Syama Prasad Mukherjee, Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- Leader(s): Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, Swami Vivekananda
- Singer: Lata Mangeshkar
- Song(s): "Jyoti Kalash Chhalke" from the film Bhabhi Ki Chudiyan (1961)" O Pawan Veg Se Udne Wale Ghode" from the film Jai Chitod (1961)
Salary (as the Prime Minister of India) 280,000/ Month Other Allowances
Some sharp Facts about Narendra Modi
- He does not share his official residence with any of his family members.
- He undertook a 3- month course in the United States on Image Management and Public Relations
- He's a great follower of Swami Vivekananda.
- He wearscrease-less attires mostly.
- During his term as the Chief Minister of Gujarat, it became the world's 2nd best State in 2010.
- After Barack Obama, Narendra Modi is the second most followed leader in the world on Twitter (more than 12 million followers).
- He never took even a single day of vacation during his 13-year term as the Chief Minister of Gujarat.
- Narendra Modi is considered the most techno-smart leader of India as he's very active on various social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.
- Narendra Modi's Followers On Various Social Media Platforms
- Narendra Modi and former United States President Barack Obama are very good buddies.
- On 26 May 2014, he became the first ever Prime Minister of India to be born in independent India.
- He always puts his signature in Hindi, whether it's a casual occasion or an official document.
- He's a pure vegetarian and prefers simple food in his meal.
- On 28 September 2014, he receive full-house reception at the Madison Square Garden in New York.
- Narendra Modi is considered one of the most popular leaders in India who has strong connections with the general public.
- He's frequently seen as breaking the protocol to meet & greet the public.
- In 2016, London's Madame Tussaud Wax Museum unveiled a wax statue of Modi.
- Narendra Modi is an author & poet. He has written some books, mainly in Gujarati, including Sangharshma Gujarat (1978) and Jyotipunj (2008).
- On 23 May 2019, after the results of the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections, he became the only leader of the BJP to lead the party to register more than 300 seats in the history of Lok Sabha Elections.
- On 30 May 2019, Narendra Modi took the pledge as the Prime Minister of India for the second time.
- "Once we decide we have to do something, we can go miles ahead."
- "Mind is never a problem. Mindset is."
- "Each one of us has both; good and evil virtues. Those who decide to focus on the good ones succeed in life."
- "Dreams are not seen when you sleep, dreams are those that don’t let you sleep."
- "Don’t dream to be something but rather dream to do something great."