Jacqueline Fernandez is a Sri Lankan actress and model who primarily works in the Hindi film industry. The winner of the 2006 Miss Universe Sri Lanka pageant, Jacqueline is famous in Bollywood for essaying glamorous roles in films like Housefull 2, Race 2, Kick, and Housefull 3.
- Nickname: Jacky
- Birth: 11 August 1985
- Birth Place: Manama, Bahrain
- Nationality: Sri Lankan
- Father: Elroy Fernandez (Sri Lankan)
- Mother: Kim (Malaysian)
- Profession: Acteress
- Height (approx.): 170 cm, 1.70 m (in meters), 5' 7” (in Feets)
- Weight (approx.): 56 kg
- Figure Measurements (approx.): 34-27-35
- Eye Colour: Dark Brown
- Hair Colour: Black
- Religion: Christianity
- Hobbies: Travelling, gymnastics, swimming, dancing
- Marital Status: Unmarried
- Affairs/Boyfriends: Sheikh Hassan Bin Rashid Al Khalifa (Bahraini prince)
Jacqueline Fernandez was born on 11 August 1985, in Bahrain, to Elroy Fernandez and Kim. Jacqueline is the youngest of four children with one elder sister and two elder brothers. Jacqueline did her schooling in Bahrain and then went to the University of Sydney where she graduated in Mass Communication. After graduating she began working as a television reporter in Sri Lanka but simultaneously continued modeling and in 2006 she was crowned the Miss Sri Lanka Universe. Jacqueline was the anchor of Lanka Business Report and also used to write for The Daily Mirror.
Jacqueline from a very young age wanted to make it big in the world of glamor. When she came to India for a modeling assignment, she auditioned for the fantasy film Aladin and landed the lead role.
Being a famous celebrity in Bollywood comes with its pros and cons. Jacqueline's personal life has always been under media scrutiny. Her affair and breakup with Bollywood director Sajid Khan were much publicized. Their courtship period of two years ended in 2013. Before being in a relationship with Sajid Khan, Jacqueline was dating Bahraini prince Hassan bin Rashid Al Khalifa, whom she met at a mutual friend's party, but the duo separated soon after.
Jacqueline broke into the industry with Sujoy Ghosh's fantasy adventure film Aladin in 2009, opposite Riteish Deshmukh. The film which also starred Amitabh Bachchan and Sanjay Dutt was a box office disaster both in terms of collection and content. She garnered mixed reviews for her portrayal of Princess Jasmine. Her second film Jaane Kahan Se Aayi hai, again starring Riteish Deshmukh, was a flop. She was criticized heavily for not being able to satisfyingly play the role of an alien.
Success came to Jacqueline with Mahesh Bhatt's thriller mystery film Murder 2 in 2011. Directed by Mohit Suri, the film starred Emraan Hashmi along with her in the lead. The film was one of the highest grosser in 2011 and did wonders to uplift Jacqueline's career. Next year in 2012, Jacqueline appeared in the ensemble comedy film Housefull 2 co-starring Akshay Kumar, John Abraham, and Asin Thottumkal. Directed by her then boyfriend, Sajid Khan, the movie was a commercial super hit but was thrashed miserably by the critics.
Jacqueline subsequently starred in the multi-starrer suspense film Race 2 with Saif Ali Khan, Anil Kapoor, John Abraham, Deepika Padukone, and Ameesha Patel. Directed by the famous duo Abbas-Mustan, the movie fared badly critically and Jacqueline was heavily criticized for her role.
2014 proved to be a turning point in Jacqueline's career. She starred opposite Salman Khan in Sajid Nadiadwala's directorial debut Kick. The movie which also starred Randeep Hooda and Nawazuddin Siddiqui was an official remake of a Tamil film of the same name. The kick was a runaway hit and was amongst the highest-grossing Hindi films at that time. This record-breaking movie made Jacqueline one of the most sought after actresses in Bollywood.
Jacqueline then appeared in films like Roy, Bangistan, and Brothers, which were all box-office duds. In 2015, she made her Hollywood debut with the British Horror film Definition of Fear. The film in which she essayed Sarah Folding, a psychology student premiered at the 4th Delhi International Film Festival in December 2015.
Jacqueline's 2016 releases include Housefull 3, Dishoom, and A Flying Jatt. In the same year, she also made her Hindi TV debut as one of the judges in Jhalak Dikhhla Ja Season 9. Her 2017 releases include the action comedy film Drive opposite Sushant Singh Rajput, A Gentleman alongside actor Sidharth Malhotra, and the David Dhawan directorial venture Judwaa 2 alongside Varun Dhawan. Her other projects include the Sri Lankan English film According to Mathew, under the direction of Chandran Rutnam. Her other releases include Race 3 (2018), Saaho (2019), Drive (2019), Mrs. Serial Killer (2020), Radhe (2021), Bhoot Police (2021), Bachchan Pandey (2022), Attack (2022), Vikrant Rona (2022), Cirkus (2022) and Ram Setu (2022).
- Food: French cuisine
- Actors: Shahrukh Khan and Leonardo DiCaprio
- Actress: Angelina Jolie
- Film (Hollywood): The Bridges Of Madison, Gone with the Wind
- Colour: White
- Perfume: Issey Miyake
- Restaurant: Pali Village Cafe in Mumbai
- Destination: Italy
- Jacqueline loves to learn new languages. She is fluent in Spanish, Arabic, and French.
- Jacqueline is half Malaysian and half Sri-Lankan.
- The musical drama London Dreams (2009) was supposed to be Jacqueline's debut movie in Bollywood, but due to scheduling conflicts, she opted out. The Sri Lankan beauty eventually made her debut in the same year with the fantasy adventure film Aladin (2009).
- Before becoming an actress, Jacqueline was an anchor and hosted the show, Lanka Business Report.
- Jacqueline is well-versed in Spanish, Arabic, and French.
- Jacqueline has a non-profit organization in Sri Lanka, which focuses on the empowerment of the underprivileged.
- While in Bahrain, Jacqueline was a real-life street racer, and also participated and won in street races.
- She is trained in horse riding, which she learned at the Amateur Riders' Club, a private riding club in Mumbai.
- Jacqueline owns a restaurant called Karma Sutra in Colombo, Sri Lanka, which serves traditional Sri Lankan food, and also has a few items from her grandma's recipe book.
- Jacqueline, highly concerned about animal safety, supported PETA for banning horse carriages in Mumbai.
- To prepare for her role in Race 3, Jacqueline underwent rigorous training in MMA, boxing, kickboxing, Thai boxing, and Jiu-Jitsu.
- "Being independent and accomplished was imperative to me and I always demanded the best of myself. Perfectionism is my strongest asset."
- "Yoga disciplines both the mind and the soul and not just your body. It helps me in having a constant positive outlook in life. I would love my family to adopt this form of fitness as well."
- "It's fun to work with men. They don't bully you. On the contrary, they guide you and become one of your buddies."
- "I've never raised my hand on anyone in my whole life. I feel it's barbaric."
- "We all portray a lot of characters, and once we get into a shot, we have to come out of our skin and be a completely different person."
- "Take care of yourself by eating right, sleeping right, and exercising regularly! These are the only rules sworn by. If you follow this religiously and use the right products, your skin and hair will thank you.
- "If you are insecure, then you can't be friends with anyone."
- "What motivates me is that the best is yet to come."
- "Our craft is all we have. So, we should keep it challenging and exciting. Else, there's no actual growth."
- "It took me so much time to build my confidence and say that I can take on more."