Larry Page | Biography, Google & Facts
Larry Page is an American computer scientist. He is mostly known as the co-founder of Google. He was the CEO of Google from 1997 to August 2001 and from April 2011 until July 2015. In 2015, he became the CEO of Alphabet inc. He was an employee, Alphabet board member, and controlling shareholder.
- Full Name: Lawrence Edward Page
- Birth: 26 March 1973 in East Lansing, Michigan, USA
- Father: Carl Victor Page Sr.
- Mother: Gloria
- Spouse: Lucinda Southworth (m. 08 December 2007)
- Profession: Computer scientist, Internet entrepreneur
Early Life and Career
Larry Page was born on 26 March 1973 in East Lansing, Michigan, USA. Both of his parents were computer science graduates. His father, 'Carl Victor Page Sr.' was a computer science professor at Michigan State University and his mother 'Gloria' was an instructor in computer programming at Lyman Briggs College at the same institution.
His parents sent him to music summer camp- Interlochen Arts Camp at Interlochen, Michigan. His childhood home was full of computers and science journals. Because of the presence of such things in his surroundings, he started to get attracted to technology. From 1975 to 1979, Page attended the Okemos Montessori School (now called Montessori Radmoor) in Okemos, Michigan. Later on, he attended East Lansing High School graduating in 1991. His parents sent him to summer school, where he attended Interlochen Center for the Arts playing the flute but mainly saxophone for two summers.
Page enrolled in the University of Michigan and he holds a degree of Bachelor of Science in computer engineering. When Page was at the University of Michigan, he created an ink-jet printer. He also has a Master of Science in computer science from Stanford University. During his time at Stanford, Larry met Sergey Brin. They both worked on a research project and soon became great friends. The page also served as the president of the Beta Epsilon chapter of the Eta Kappa Nu honor society. He was also a member of the 1993 "Maize & Blue" University of Michigan Solar Car team.
Google (Global Organization of Oriented Group Language of Earth)
In 1996, Larry and Brin invented BackRub. BackRub's primary goal was to provide the best and most important results on the web.
In 1997, Page and Brin decided to change the name of BackRub. They came up with the name Google (by google, a mathematical concept). Their main goal was to organize all of the world's information available on the web and they established Google Inc. company in 1998. Google's first office was located in Menlo Park, California, United States. Year by year, Google changed tremendously and introduced new updates and became available in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Hindi, Portuguese, Norwegian, and Danish. After the development of Google Yahoo became their partner.
Larry page stepped down as the CEO of the Google company in 2001 and Eric Schmidt became the new CEO of Google. Google in 2004, launched Orkut, a social networking site. Following year, Google became a great hit. After this, Google became a very famous company and launched many products and services. Google in 2005, launched Google Maps, Google Reader, Mobile, and iGoogle. Google also purchased YouTube in 2006 and added a new chat feature in Gmail (e-mailing service).
In 2007, Google signed a partnership with China Mobile and Salesforce.com. Google released, Google Earth in 2008, and Larry Page became the CEO of Google for the second time in 2011. Google again launched the company's first Chromebook laptop, Google Glass, companies, and many more products at the end of 2012.
Alphabet Inc. is an American multinational technology conglomerate holding company headquartered in Mountain View, California. It was founded by Larry Page and Sergey Brin on 02 October 2015, and Alphabet Inc. became the parent company of Google and several former subsidiaries, in 2015.
Larry Page along with Sergey Brin developed PageRank at Stanford University in 1996. It is an algorithm used by Google Search to rank web pages in their search engine results. It is named after co-founder Larry Page and the term "web page". PageRank is a way of measuring the importance of website pages.
Awards and honors
For his work in the field of Internet and exploration, Larry won many titles and awards. Some of those awards are
- Innovators the under 35 in the year 2002
- Marconi prize in the Engines year 2004.
- In August 2017, Page was awarded honorary citizenship of Agrigento, Italy.
- PC Magazine has praised Larry Page's company 'Google' as among the 'Top 100 Web Sites and Search Engines (1998) and awarded Google the Technical Excellence Award for Innovation in Web Application Development in 1999.
- Google earned a Webby Award, a People's Voice Award for technical achievement, in 2000, and was awarded Outstanding Search Service, Best Image Search Engine, Best Design, Most Webmaster Friendly Search Engine, and Best Search Feature at the Search Engine Watch Awards, in 2001.
- Page was named a World Economic Forum Global Leader for Tomorrow in 2002.
- Both Page and Brin received an MBA from IE Business School, in an honorary capacity, "for embodying the entrepreneurial spirit and lending momentum to the creation of new businesses" in 2003.
- In 2004, Page and Brin received the Golden Plate Award from the American Academy of Achievement.
- In 2003, Page and Brin both were Award Recipients and National Finalists for the EY Entrepreneur of the Year Award.
- X PRIZE chose Page as a trustee of their board in 2004.
- Page and Brin were elected Fellows of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, in 2005.
- Page received the Communication Award from Prince Felipe at the Prince of Asturias Awards on behalf of Google, in 2008.
- Page received an honorary doctorate from the University of Michigan during a graduation commencement ceremony, in 2009.the
- In 2011, Larry Page was ranked 24th on the Forbes list of billionaires, and the 11th richest person in the U.S.
- As of July 2014, Page held 17th position in the Bloomberg Billionaires Index list of richest men in the world, with an estimated net worth of $32.7 billion.
- Page was named number one on the Forbes "America's Most Popular Chief Executives" list, as voted by Google's employees, in October 2015.
Donation and Philanthropic Work
Larry Page used technological advancements and his intellect for philanthropic work. With Google apps, education is easily available to thousands of students in places where providing education is difficult. Page created Google.org which contributes to social organizations' issues. The Page supports issues like poverty and global hunger.
He invests in Planetary Resources (an organization that mines asteroids). He started a children's book startup 'Twigtale'. When Page was suffering from his vocal problems, he donated a large donation to a vocal-cord nerve-function research program at the Voice Health Institute in Boston (according to The Google+ post). In 2006, Larry Page started The Carl Victor Page Memorial foundation from which they donated $15 million to aid the effort against the Ebola virus epidemic in West Africa in 2013.
Larry Page married Lucinda Southworth on 08 December 2007, on Necker Island, the Caribbean island owned by Richard Branson. Southworth is a research scientist and the sister of actress and model Carrie Southworth. Larry page has two kids whose birth years are 2009 and 2011. According to Bloomberg Billionaires Index, Larry Page has a net worth of approximately $123 billion, as of February 2022, making him the fifth-wealthiest person in the world.
"It is often easier to make progress on mega-ambitious dreams. Since no one else is crazy enough to do it, you have little competition."
~ Larry Page