Mukesh Ambani is an Indian business tycoon and the chairman, managing director, and largest shareholder of Reliance Industries Limited (RIL). He is one of the wealthiest people in the world. According to the Forbes list, he is the richest person in Asia with a net worth of US$ 90.3 billion and thetiy1 y 10th richest person in the world, as of 12 February 2022.
- Full Name: Mukesh Dhirubhai Ambani
- Birth: 19 April 1957,6 in Aden, Yemen
- Father: Dhirubhai Ambani
- Mother: Kokilaben Ambani
- Nationality: Indian Spouse: Nita Ambani (m. 1985)
- Children: Akash Ambani, Isha Ambani and Anant Ambani
- Profession: Businessman (Chairman and MD, Reliance Industries)
Mukesh Ambani was born on 19 April 1957,6 in the British Crown colony of Aden, Yemen, to Dhirubhai Ambani and kokilaben Ambani. He has a younger brother Anil Ambani and two sisters, Nina Bhadrashyam Kothari and Dipti Dattaraj Salgaonkar. His father, Dhirubhai Ambani, used to work at a firm in Yemen and moved to Mumbai, India, in 1958, to start a trading business that focused on spices and textiles, latter was originally named "Vimal" but later changed to "Only Vimal".
Ambani family lived in a modest two-bedroom apartment in Bhuleshwar, Mumbai until the 1970s. The family's financial status was not good in the beginning but was slightly improved when they started their work in India. Later Dhirubhai purchased a 14-floor apartment block called 'Sea Wind' in Colaba. Mukesh attended Hill Grange High School, at Peddar Road, Mumbai, along with his brother. After completing High School, Mukesh attended the Institute of Chemical Technology and received a Bachelor's degree in chemical engineering. He also enrolled in MBA at Stanford University but withdrew in 1980.
Mukesh Ambani wanted to assist his father in their family business company, Reliance. In 1980, Dhirubhai Ambani received a license from the Indian Government, over their competitors like Tata, Birla, and other companies. In 1981, Mukesh formally joined Reliance Industries. His father had allotted him a polyester factory. Mukesh boosted the yarn manufacturing business of his father's company and spread it to the rural areas of India. Then, he doubled the business of petrochemicals. He was able to create many new world-class manufacturing facilities that raised Reliance's production volume.
The next industry he grew was Reliance Infocom limited. It was one of his most notable achievements and is now known as the largest and most complex information and communications technology company in the world. Ambani experienced turmoil when his father passed away. The two Ambani brothers faced conflict over the ownership of Reliance. The crisis was settled by their mother kokilaben Ambani. Mukesh Ambani gained ownership of the oil, refining business, and textile, whereas Anil Ambani took over the management and entertainment sectors of Reliance.
Reliance built the world's largest oil refinery company and became a thriving name in the biggest commercial group in India. Reliance's Jio has earned a top-five spot in the country's telecommunication services since its public launch on 05 September 2016. Through Reliance, he also owns the Indian Premier League franchise Mumbai Indians and is the founder of the Indian Super League, a football league in India.
However, Ambani also utilizes his enormous wealth to contribute to social welfare and charities. His company offers a portion of its profits to different channels in the country. Sustainable development is a key area of his business and their way of helping the environment. Reliance was voted among the top charitable organizations by a major Chinese media company.
Awards and Honors
Mukesh Ambani, for his exceptional work, has received many awards and is featured in major publications.
- Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year, in 2000, by Ernst & Young India.
- In 2004, he received the World Communication Award for the 'Most Influential Person'.
- In 2007, Mukesh Ambani was given the US-India Business Council 'Global Vision' Award for leadership.
- In 2007, Mukesh Ambani was given the Chitralekha Person of the Year Award by the Government of Gujarat (a state of India).
- In 2010, Mukesh Ambani received the Global Vision Award at The Awards Dinner Asia Society.
- In 2010, Mukesh Ambani was named the Businessman of the Year, by Financial Chronicle.
- In 2010, Mukesh received the School of Engineering and Applied Science Dean's Medal, from the University of Pennsylvania.
- In 2010, Mukesh Ambani was ranked 5th-best performing global CEO by Harvard Business Review.
- In 2010, Mukesh received the Global Leadership Award, from Business Council for International Understanding.
- In 2010, Mukesh received an Honorary Doctorate (Doctor of Science), from M. S. University of Baroda.
- Mukesh Ambani was declared as Millennium Business Leader of the Decade 2013, at Indian Affairs India Leadership Conclave Awards, by India Leadership Conclave & Indian Affairs Business Leadership Awards.
- In 2016, Mukesh Ambani was honored by a Foreign associate, the U.S. National Academy of Engineering.
- In 2016, Mukesh Ambani received Othmer Gold Medal, from Chemical Heritage Foundation.
- Ambani was titled "The World's Richest Sports Team Owner" after his purchase of the IPL cricket team Mumbai Indians for $111.9 million in 2008.
Mukesh Ambani met his future wife Nita after his father attended a dance performance in which Nita took part and thought of the idea of arranging a marriage between the two and then Mukesh and Nita married in 1985 they have two sons, Akash and Anant, and a daughter, Isha. Akash and Isha Ambani are twins. They live in Antilia, a private 27-story building in Mumbai, which was valued at US$1 billion and was the most expensive private residence. The building requires a staff of 600 for maintenance, and it includes three helipads, a 160-car garage, a private movie theater, a swimming pool, and a fitness center. Mukesh Ambani, In 2007, on his wife's 44th birthday, gifted her a $60 million Airbus A319.
As of 2016, Ambani was ranked India's richest person for the last 10 years and was in 36th position among the world's richest persons on the Forbes list. He is the only Indian businessman on Forbes' list of the world's most powerful people. Mukesh Ambani grew his business and as of October 2020, Mukesh Ambani was ranked as the 6th-wealthiest person in the world by Forbes. He Became Asia's richest person by surpassing Jack Ma, executive chairman of Alibaba Group, with a net worth of $44.3 billion in July 2018.
As of 2015, Ambani ranked fifth among India's philanthropists, according to China's Hurun Research Institute. Mukesh Ambani was appointed as a Director of Bank of America and became the first non-American to be on its board. As of 15 January 2022, Mukesh Ambani's net worth is about US$ 98 billion, and is the 11th richest person in the world, according to Forbes.
"I generally think that I should only speak by action and not by words".
~ Mukesh Ambani